Feds Want GSE Profits for Roads and Transportation

10/26/2015

Usually the Fed’s can’t agree on much, but it appears that they all think it’s a good idea to use Fannie and Freddie profits for roads and transportation.  Really?

Comments

comments

Comments
  • As much as I hate to admit it, I actually think this is a good idea. I sell houses in a rural area that is frequently shut down every time it rains, because the roads haven’t been touched since the first ox-carts settled here in 1700. OK, I exaggerate, slightly.

Tim Kendrick October 26, 2015 5:06 am Reply
  • Look at the bright side… Once they assign the revenue stream from Fannie & Freddie to roads… Congress will move heaven and earth to keep the money flowing… I see another round of easy money and another housing bubble in our future…

Charlie October 26, 2015 5:26 am Reply
  • Hey guys, I have no problem with this. And I don’t like NAR telling me it’s wrong. Housing, transportation…they go hand in hand. Paricularly if the money can contribute toward new transportation systems between communities. This country needs more interconnection between cities, communities, rural to urban, etc. And, hey, while we are at it, let’s throw some of that money to the schools in the most dire need of infrastructure development, those schools who don’t have a legitimate library, help teachers who otherwise have to buy materials for their classrooms-those schools, you know the ones? Or maybe you don’t, but there are a whole lot of them out there in the urban communities. I completely support this. Why? Better run and better equipped schools with teachers who feel supported, make for better communities and higher home values. Better roads and more efficient transporation make for beter home values. Let me be the minority view, I think it is a legitimate option and we need to get creative and find more ways to improve schools and transporation which improves all neighborhoods, both urban and rural.

Marjory October 26, 2015 7:01 am Reply
  • Good News… Fannie and Freddie are here to stay! Have to admit that if the Government is backing the loans in the name of tax payers I don’t mind some of the profits going to public projects… as long as it’s not a bridge to nowhere! Oh and Oregon gets its share of the pie. :)

John Bacon October 26, 2015 8:17 am Reply
  • I shared Friday’s show with a whole lotta people and let me tell you that what Elizabeth Warren is doing got more of my Democratic friends all upset than my Republican friends. Those under 30 years of age who have iphones permanently attached to their hands went bullistic. Several of them called and left very nasty messages for Elizabeth so I am sure you all will probably be getting a phone call….Sorry guys….

Bernie October 26, 2015 9:05 am Reply
  • It’s wrong on principle. They need to do what’s right by the shareholders and our laws. I remember voting on a proposed cigarette tax and people who didn’t smoke were all excited about how good it would be. It’s wrong on principle and they just keep stacking taxes one on the other.

Dave Gardner October 26, 2015 9:39 am Reply
  • What if they use that money for the proposed train here in California? That would be a joke

Dave Gardner October 26, 2015 9:41 am Reply
  • Heck for that matter lets fund every government program, we all know we will never run out of money, we just have to print more. Heaven forbid we pay as we go, charge it!

Gregg October 26, 2015 9:59 am Reply
  • lol – They will spend it one way or the other, they always do and some extra just to be sure its all gone, and I am not sure we see any better roads or bridges for the hard earned money. I am still waiting on the “shovel ready projects” promised 4 years ago !! – the only thing I see are signs promising the projects are coming soon. LOL – It never ends.

Dan Hazy October 26, 2015 2:36 pm Reply
  • I think everyone is missing the underlying message here. If F&F get any kind of revenue stream taxed (and 10 basis points is minimal if it is for transpo) then all this hootin’ and hollerin’ about shutting down F&F is for naught. They will continue on as they are now.

marcus90201 October 27, 2015 9:00 am Reply