Zillow Facing $2 Billion Lawsuit

04/04/2016

The Move/Zillow lawsuit is heating up and now Move is claiming about $2 Billion in damages.  If Move were to win, what would that mean to your premiere agent fees with Zillow?

Comments

comments

Comments
  • Frankly as a Realtor I’m tired of paying a ton of fees to bring listing information to the public only to have Zillow and Trulia take the information I paid to create and sell it back to me. This is something that should have been stopped long ago. In fact NAR attempted to tell Zillow they would no longer provide our information to them and it was Zillow that sued NAR forcing NAR to continue providing the information that rightfully belongs to its members to Zillow. If Zillow wants my listing they should pay me for my listing not the other way around. I hope Zillow loses this law suit. They are not entitled to the information they have forced Realtors to provide them with. It’s time they learned that.

Robb April 4, 2016 7:24 am Reply
    • I agree 100%. NAR should own a site like Realtor.com on our behalf. Zillow is really bad. I could write a book on the bad experiences I’ve had with Zillow. Our job is to get listings. It’s our hard work. No one other than brokers and agents should have control. They take our listings and resell the leads to anyone who will pay for the lead and if you don’t pay…no leads. It’s a scam.

Bill Balcer April 4, 2016 9:03 am Reply
  • I non-renewed my Web page which I had since Year1 because of Murdoch’s purchase. Didn’t hurt my decision making process that for a few years I got zero leads from it. All I get are people at open houses from these Internet sites.
    I also want to pull the plug on Zillow and the other websites from taking my listing and putting I there agent’s names on them.

Maria Powers April 4, 2016 8:50 am Reply
    • Maria,
      Talk to your Responsible Broker and/or your local MLS/Board of Realtors. You should be able to opt out of syndicating your listings to websites or pick and choose websites that you want your listings syndicated to. You can also opt out of IDX which gives you complete control of your listings and what websites they appear on. Be aware that opting out of IDX means that you can no longer advertise other agents’ listings on your website.
      The brokerage you work for may have their own policies preventing you from withholding your listings from syndication. Your MLS may not even be aware that opting out is a possibility.
      If you feel strongly about maintaining control of your client’s listing data, security and accuracy, you do have options.

Jane Kennedy April 4, 2016 10:00 am Reply
  • Did someone actually use the words “Zillow” and “Accuracy” in the same sentence? I really hate having to do a ton of proof back to a potential client about the real value of their property after Zillow has come up with some crazy value. Google “Zillow Hitler” for a fun video that says it all.

Randy King April 4, 2016 9:21 am Reply
  • I believe Zillow should not be able to profit from selling a lead system based off listings that belong to members of local associations. Zillow should also be sued for providing false information to the public based upon it’s Zestimate crap analysis. NAR,all state and local realtor associations have responsibility to their membership and need to put an end allowing broker owned assets to be given away for free to Zillow and other companies like them. Maybe the agents and brokers need to be compensated directly for the right to advertise the listing on any platform. Could be time to change the entire real estate model.

Lisa Miller-Hobbs April 4, 2016 11:45 am Reply
  • Pingback: Vavisto’s curated real estate news 1.01 April 4, 2016

• The book “Killing Real Estate” would actually be called “The Rise of the CFPB”

John Sorensen April 4, 2016 3:06 pm Reply