41% of All Realtors are Over 60 Years Old

07/20/2016

Do we have an impending Realtor shortage?  Well 41% of all Realtors are over 60 years old.  What are your thoughts on our clearly aging industry?

Comments

comments

Comments
  • With technology you do not really need as many agents. Also what are the breakdowns of the productive agents. 80% of all agents do not produce any results.

Terry L Day July 20, 2016 3:18 am Reply
  • I am an RE agent for 5 years, I am 55 ys. It is really tough to make a dollar and being an agent is expensive. If I did not have savings, or my house paid for, or complete availability to work when most people are off… there is no way I could survive. Now on the better side, I am helping my daughter, 26, brand new RE agent because I need the help and she will not have to start from bellow the bottom as I did. I am lowering her expectation and want her to keep a regular part-time job to have some study income (particularly this coming winter).
    On a more funny note… please watch this short video (as I invited my kid to do so):

Myriam Desprez July 20, 2016 4:33 am Reply
    • Thank you Myriam! That was funny.

REORealtor1 July 20, 2016 11:43 am Reply
  • Is 60 the new 50?? This might be part of this. Being active keeps people younger. Real Estate keeps you active & mind sharper & yet has flexibility. I’m one of them :) Agree, I have about 7 years till I plan to semi retire. Interesting video!

Della Newton July 20, 2016 4:56 am Reply
  • Everyone I know is using technology as Realtors. Bear in mind, technology isn’t the answer for those consumers who are not technology savvy. As a seasoned Realtor, I see many younger agents fall on their faces due to technology, lack of training and ethics bound issues. While I am nearing the 60 age number, don’t cast me out with the dinosaurs. Shame on you making this about age. Not ALL people, are created equal in real estate i.e., loan officers, appraisers, inspectors, real estate agents or sub agents (and many more). Let’s be real about this topic. Professionalism and staying abreast of the constant changes in real estate make us worthy! Part time loan officers, realtors etc are a disservice to the industry and clients/customers we serve.

Joy Basher Downey July 20, 2016 6:47 am Reply
  • Please stop with the sweeping statements regarding older people being tech iliterate. Many handle it better then younger people. You still live in an era that older people had to get their grandkid to fix the vcr. Perhaps we can come up with all inclusive comments about “smart” midage white guys from CA?

Bernie July 20, 2016 7:39 am Reply
  • This is nothing new. The average age of agents has traditionally been 57-58 for years. No reason to panic – one of my associates is 80 and works every day; others are in their mid 70’s.

Phil Amodeo July 20, 2016 7:56 am Reply
  • Sadly, the general population feels that those over 60 are irrelevant; that’s the reality! I was pushed out of wholesale lending because of my age and a huge pipeline given to much younger inside agents. I’ve ventured back into real estate at 67 years old and find it much as it was in the 70’s when I first started. I left then because most of my days were spent driving people around looking at houses that they didn’t want to buy. Listing is still king and the rewards are great but it does take money and drive; it’s hard to get motivated to go door knocking, and cold calling. I am very tech savvy and will probably go back into lending. On the phone borrowers don’t know how old you are and I still enjoy that. Houses? Not so much! Young people are driven to tech jobs and law and marketing, Real Estate is never the goal of a college grad.

Jack Martin July 20, 2016 9:19 am Reply
  • The very best person I ever showed real esate with was in his 80’s. He was the listing agent. I go with my buyers and he told them how three couples before them had bought the house, he had listed it each time, how much they paid and how they all made money! They couldn’t wait to sign the contract! Nothing like history, lol!

REORealtor1 July 20, 2016 11:45 am Reply
  • Wells Fargo has 1 billion applications and the USA has 330 million people. What am I missing here?

Sean D July 20, 2016 2:07 pm Reply
  • Wells Fargo has 1 billion applications and the entire population of the USA is 330 million. Umm, yeah that makes a ton of sense.

Sean D July 20, 2016 2:08 pm Reply